Comics, movies, celebrities, monkeys, zombies, pirates, ninjas, robots, science, and so forth.

Thursday, December 22, 2005

I Thought I Voted To Kill That Guy



Jason Todd.

You know, he used to be the lamest Robin ever. Then they gave the role to some chick who's dad is the Cluemaster (the master of clues!).

He also used to be the only dead Robin, too. Then she took that away from him as well.

So what's left for a Robin to do? Why come back for a heaping second helping of being lame! But wait, I'm getting ahead of myself. Let me give you a little history here. Robin II was this dirty little street kid that Batman felt sorry for when he discovered the tramp stealing the wheels off the Batmobile.



Yeah. Great security system, eh? An urchin with a tire iron was able to get a wheel off your crime-fighting machine. Good job, assy. Unfortunately, this crime wasn't the last bad Batman tale Todd would be involved in, as he went on to become Robin. A Robin that was all but universally hated by fans, myself included. He was a load, plain and simple.

So when it came time to vote on weather or not he should live? I said nay.



But its not like I was the only cruel kid out there. The number of votes, if I remember correctly was overwhelming. DC claimed it was close, but I gotta tell you I don't know one person that voted for him to live (Course, I don't know one person who voted for Dubya either, and here we are).

In his time as Robin he was a whiney, stupid, arrogant little prick and no one liked him. Now, I'm not saying being those things should always result in death (in other words, let me live), but in this case it was appropriate. In his death he could mean so much more than he ever did in life, setting up years of Batman stories to come and peppering tales of the old Robin (Dick Grayson) and the new one (Tim Drake).

It even kind of worked in the Hush story line (though I've no idea what people saw in that art... Yuck). Everyone got all in a lather when they thought Jason Todd was back. But then he wasn't! It was a cool twist that played off our hatred of Todd and the fact that no one wants him to come back. Ever.

Then he came back.

He's been bouncing around in DC for a little bit now, but they never really explained it. I was hoping for it to be another trick, like with the Hush-Clayface deally. But from what I've seen in the previews, that is not the case.



Oh, good lord. So, yeah, Batman Annual #25 by Judd "I ruined Kyle Rayner" Winnick is going to finally answer the questions surrounding Todd's mysterious return.

And you know what? I don't care. I don't need to know why garbage smells bad, I just know I don't want to smell it. Get me?

Todd died--he DIED--at the hands of the Joker in what was a fantastic story, one that made the Batman mythos richer and cleared the way from future awesomeness. To bring him back really invalidates a lot of what's been cool about the Batman family, and its a bit of a crock.

And not only that, it makes my vote completely worthless. That was a 900 number I called. It cost me 50 cents. AND, I bought all the issues of "Death In the Family" cause I thought it, and my vote, really meant something.

DC comics owes me at LEAST 50 cents. At least.

Sorry to be so negative today, gang. As long as Marvel doesn't do something stupid like bring back Bucky, I'll be okay.

They did WHAT?!?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Roque said...

Some Robins are better off dead.

5:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home