Comics, movies, celebrities, monkeys, zombies, pirates, ninjas, robots, science, and so forth.

Friday, March 03, 2006

Fin Fang Fantastic

If you're not reading NextWave from Warren Ellis, you are only cheating yourself.

I was hesitant to pick up the book myself. Had to be talked into it by the crazy dude with the George Clinton dreads at my comic book store.

I can't thank him enough.

Without getting too deep into plotlines, the first arc has the team of misfit heroes going up against a UWMD (Unusual Weapon of Mass Destruction), namely Fin Fang Foom. He of the early days of Marvel. He of the scary monster mags. He of the purple pants.

In issue two, he threatens to do something so dastardly to Boom Boom that-- no, you know what? I'm not gonna spoil it. Go read it.

I can say, however, that Ellis is turning me into a huge fan of Machine Man (Aaron Stack). I used to think he was a pretty lame character. What did he even do? His arms grew real long, I think. And his legs. He was purple, and had goggles? I dunno. He didn't look like he was all that interesting. Just another cool Kirby Design with little going on, story wise.

And then he showed up in that Alex Ross trainwreck Universe X shit. Then I really didn't give a shit about him. He was all morose and moody sitting on the moon being lame. Feh.

So yeah, I wrote of Machine Man. I couldn't care less about what happened to him as a character.

But that's only because he didn't used to say things like this:whoo-boy! That's saucy.

Which is not to say that he can't back that smack up. He actually IS filled with useful devices.Yeah. He's prolly real handy around the house too.

And did I mention that he is fueled by beer? Cause he is. Just like me!

So, yeah. Hats off to Ellis and Immonen for producing the surprise fun ride of the winter. And congrats on taking someone like Machine Man and making a jaded Marvel Hater like myself think he's cool.



Crap! Go read this book people! I give nextwave, two Fin Fang Foom fingers up! Rock.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

I might just do that now.

10:28 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home