Comics, movies, celebrities, monkeys, zombies, pirates, ninjas, robots, science, and so forth.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Superman Returns (to Otisburg)


Wow. Holyshit. Fuck.

The new Superman movie kicks ass. I loved it. LOVED it. It really hit me in the guts from the (fantasic) opening credit sequence all the way untill the end.

I don't have time for a full review (and i'm sleepy) so how about a quick pro and con, though, shall we?

CONs:

I didn't care for Perry White. Found him to be dull and uninteresting. The others that have come before (Jackie Coogan in particular) brought something to the table, the played the chief like his comicbook counterpart. My girlfriend suggested that they didn't want him to be to excited and yelly cause that might make people think he's ripping off the current JJJ over in the Spidey movies (played brilliantly by JK Simmons). That's prolly true, and that's why hollywood sucks. GREAT CEASARS' GHOST! Give me a Perry that gives a damn. That gets excited about shit. That chews on a cigar and yells at Jimmy Olsen. Shit. This guy walked around like a corpse. I guess that's what you get when you hire Dracula.

Lois. What the hell. She looked way too young to have a kid, she didn't look very pretty, and she didn't come off as a tough as nails reporter. Her scenes with Perry were the worst in the film. Fire her before the sequels. Fire her tomorrow. She sucks ass.

PROs:

Everything else.

Seriously, the rest of the movie really did it for me. Particular stand outs were Jimmy Olsen and when Routh was in "Clark" mode. Fantasic. That's gotta be the closest thing to Jimmy from the comics I've ever seen. Loved it.

The Good, the Bland and the Ugly

Shit! FUCK! Superman Returns kicks ass. I can hardly contain myself. I gotta go see a third time.

It was missing one thing, though. There's only one thing I'd add. One crucial element that really would've made it the best thing since oxygen:

Ned Goddamn Beatty.

Does this mean we're not going to Addis Abbaba Mistah Lewtor?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Max Robinson said...

It really was a fantastic movie.

I definitely can see where you're coming from on Frank Langella, but he still seemed like the take no crap editor I'm used to from the movies and comics, just not really loud.

How about that Spiderman 3 trailer? Wild stuff

2:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hugh 'Dr. House' Laurie was originally supposed to play Perry White. Scheduling conflicts didn't allow and they rushed to replace him. Skeletor/Dracula won.

Christopher would've been pleased with this film.

9:26 AM

 
Blogger hollywoodkids said...

Um, I think you meant to say "Jackie Cooper". Coogan never played Perry White. Although they starred together in a movie called "French Leave", they are not the same person.

1:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home